Pages

Thursday, December 09, 2010

Mommy's Moment: A Tale of a Coke and Its Cup


I love Coke. I really do. I know it's not good for you. But it's my one splurge. John thinks it's sad I have to limit myself to one Coke a day. I like to think of it as wise. I like Coke in a can, Coke in a bottle, Coke in a cup. But there's one way to drink Coke that tops all others: in a cup, with a straw and lots of ice, in other words...a fountain Coke. Nothing beats it. A Coke from McDonald's is like heaven. I have one sitting in front of me as I type. The cup says, "Enjoy." I say, "Oh yes I will." But, going to McDonald's to get that special Coke in that special cup isn't realistic. It'd get too pricey and now, being a mother of three, it's too much work to load up all three kids. And, not to mention it would be difficult to justify ME getting something in the drive thru without getting THEM something. Well, today, today my friends, I found a wonderful solution. It first hit me in the line at Hobby Lobby. You know, on all those displays that just tempt you to buy something as you wait in that long line? Well, there sat a reusable cup with a lid (that resembles the snap on lids at fast food restaurants). I picked it up. Checked the price. Looked at it. Thought about it. Pictured me drinking lots of Coke from it. And then sat it back on the display. I couldn't do it. And anyways, it was missing a straw. I didn't want to have to keep buying straws. But it lingered in my mind all the way to Publix, our next stop. So, we were on the cereal isle, the same isle that has the kids cups and other kitchen accessories. I looked, peeking to see if they might have a similar cup, you know, just to check the price (right?). Lo and Behold, there was the cup you see pictured above. Calling my name. AND, it had a straw. A reusable, washable, durable straw. It was a little more expensive. I chalked it up to it having a straw. Hey, I'm saving money in the long run, right, by not buying more straws? What did I do? I grabbed it. I put it in my cart. This is not usually how I roll. Rarely do I make impulsive buys, especially on something like that. I could say I was doing it to be more eco-friendly but really I'm not saving any cups out there from being thrown out. I usually drink my Cokes at home in a glass anyways. But, there it sat, all the way to the check out line and all the way through the conveyer belt. All the way to the grocery bag. And now, all the way to my house, onto the counter, ready to be used. Am I pumped? You bet. Drinking out of that baby will be like drinking a Coke from McDonald's. . .over, and over, and over again.

3 comments:

Learning as we Live said...

ohh yum. I love coke too. Your description makes me need one so bad...but its too late for me. I would be up all night. I can't wait for breakfast!! :)

Bethany said...

I have a reusable cup like that but it looks like a Starbucks cup. Tim got it for me at Kroger and I LOVE it! I use it every day. It's fun to take it somewhere, and people think I got a drink from Starbucks. The other day, someone said, "You got water at Starbucks?" I think you'll get lots of good use out of it! It's a good buy! :)

Redheaded Adventures said...

So glad you went with the impulsive buy - it will be great in the long run. Isn't it funny what we consider a luxury these days...a coke from McD's? Its the simple things in life right?